The London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) Class B17, also known as “Sandringham” or “Footballer” class was a class of 4-6-0 steam locomotive designed by Sir Nigel Gresley for hauling passenger services on the Great Eastern Main Line. In total 73 were built.
The first ten B17s were built by the North British Locomotive Company; the first locomotive was delivered on 30 November 1928. Between 1930 and 1936, Darlington Works would produce 52 B17s in five batches. A final batch of eleven would be built by Robert Stephenson and Company in 1937; resulting in a total of 73 B17s built. Small modifications were made to successive batches, resulting in six class parts (B17/1 to B17/6). The B17/5s, 61659 East Anglian and 61670 City of London were streamlined in the manner of the LNER Class A4s. However, the streamlining was cladding for publicity purposes only and had little real effect on the overall speed of the locomotive. By 1951 both engines were stripped of the streamlining altogether.
This is a highly detailed 00 gauge scale model with sprung buffers and NEM couplings. Loco driven this model has a 5 pole skew wound motor for smooth realistic running.